The University of Würzburg Germany was first founded in 1402 making it the 6th institution of higher learning in the
German speaking communities of Europe. It had a second opening (as part of the counter Reformation) in August 1, 1582
which was more successful, but it wasn't until 1734 that it opened its doors to students other than Catholics. The
porcelain lid has the seal of the university, the city and the Bishopric of
Würzburg. This celebration is for the third
centennial of the second founding of the university in 1582-3. The lid can be dated to 1882-3, but the body might or
might not be original to the lid.