In the early nineteenth century, there were many important silver firms in Russia. Among these, Sazikov was
the earliest. It was founded as a workshop in Moscow by the merchant Pavel Sazikov in 1793, and grew to become
a factory by 1810. Pavel's son Ignatii succeeded him, and opened a branch in Saint Petersburg in 1842, and was
accorded the title of court supplier and the right to incorporate the imperial double eagle in the firm's
trademark in 1846. Following Ignatii Sazikov's death in 1868, the firm was run by his three sons, Sergei and
Pavel in Moscow and Valentin in Saint Petersburg. Although the Saint Petersburg branch closed in 1877, the
Moscow branch continued operations for another ten years, until it was taken over by the relatively new firm
of Ivan Khlebnikov.
During the Sazikov firm's long existence, its productions included high quality silverware, as well as
cast-silver sculpture and silver decorated with cloisonné enamels. A Google search of the firm's name today
will indicate the magnitude of the firm's output.