Stein Collectors International
Featured Stein ~ November 2021

A Piece of Americana
N.Y. Brewery advertisement on a N.Y. made lidded beer stein

By Michael Finney
Pennsylvania Keysteiners


The Rochester Brewing Company was founded in 1875 in Rochester New York and was originally located on Cliff Street. During the period 1889 to 1902, the brewery operated as a branch of the large Bartholomay Brewing Company, also of Rochester. In 1902, Rochester Brewing went independent again and continued in operation up until it was closed by Prohibition 1920-1933. The brewery reopened after Prohibition and their primary brand was Old Topper. Like many upstate New York breweries, Rochester originally specialized in ale, but soon added lager to the brewery's output.

The Standard-Rochester Brewing Company was formed in 1956 by the merger of the Standard Brewing Company and the Rochester Brewing Company (770 Emerson Street), both longtime members of the Rochester brewing fraternity. After a brief period when both facilities were operating, the Lake Street brewery closed, and operations were consolidated at Emerson Street. After some other ventures Standard-Rochester closed its doors for good in 1970.

This is a heavy stein for its size, it weighs in at 2 lbs. & 2 ounces, the body is 5" high, but 5-5/8" to the top of the thumb lift. There is a No. 20 on the base and has no capacity mark. Whites of Utica was started 1839 by Noah White who was a barge pilot on the Erie Canal which ran from Albany to Buffalo, New York. Because of its prime geographical location, Utica was obviously an ideal spot for a pottery factory. The waterway could be used to transport clay northward from the clay-rich areas of New Jersey and to return the finished products to market areas such as New York City, Boston and Philadelphia. Noah eventually settled in Utica where he bought a pottery business owned by Samuel Addington and renamed it Whites of Utica. In 1849 Noah and his two sons, Nicholas and William, formed a partnership. The mark used on their wares at that time was simply Whites Utica or Whites of Utica. In 1863 Noah's grandson, William N. White, joined the firm and the name changed to Noah White, Son & Co. William took over the firm's management upon Noah's death in 1865. During their heyday Whites employed between 20 and 25 workers.

Production of beer mugs and steins was introduced in 1885. In 1894, a German artist named Hugo Billard was hired. He was responsible for the mold design and introduction of the German designs and phrases we often see. He worked there until 1901.

During different periods Whites used different types of interior and exterior glazes. From approximately 1885-1897 a salt glaze exterior with a clear silica glaze interior was used. After that often a white Bristol glaze was employed on the interior. This stein does not have a white interior, I would guess it was made between 1885-1897. The pottery ceased making stoneware in 1907.

Reference from David Roche Beer Stein Article - "Whites of Utica" and Welcome to Stein Marks.

Click here to view a pictorial index of all Featured Stein articles.